Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Bends and friends

Have you ever been asked the question -- if you could only bring three CDs with you on a desert island what would you take? Hands down I would take Radiohead's The Bends and two friends. I'm not quite sure what those two friends would be. Music is so arbitrary. Depends on your mood, weather, the current state of your life. It is also brings up the other question -- if you had to would you rather be blind or deaf? Can't answer that one. Hopefully I never have to. Although I do think it helps that I have three years of American Sign Language (ASL) under my belt. Perfected by going to loud bars on Thursday nights and forcing myself to communicate in ASL. Back to the CDs. The Bends and friends. But what two friends would accompany my favorite album of all time.

One can't go wrong with The Bends. Yes, people of opinion seem to think OK Computer is Radiohea's masterpiece. I think of it more as their Master and Commander minus Russell Crowe and a whole lot of other things. Ok, actually it has nothing to do with Master and Commnader I just like saying "Master" in a fake Sean Connery voice. Kinda like "Oct-a-pussy." or the SNL skit Jeopardy where he states
"I'll take the rapist for $200."
"Rapist? You mean therapist."
"Is that what your mother said last night, Trebek?"

Back to the friends of The Bends. Perhaps Abbey Road. She might make the cut. Has a great opening song "Come Together" which ineviatably for me bring ups the question -- Top 5 opening songs for an album a la High Fidelity style. I'm going with:
  1. Come Together (Beatles: Abbey Road)
  2. Let's Get it On (Marvin Gaye: What's Going On?)
  3. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana: Nirvana)
  4. Black Dog (Led Zepplin: IV)
  5. Let's Go Cray (Prince: Purple Rain)
As I was saying ... I'm torn on who would be good enough to accompany The Bends. I've listened to that album so many times that I have went through four copies of the CD. Four. Plus someone from college took it and never returned it. Damn you Kjell and Fetter's Grove.

So The Bends needs friends and 28 hours until the end of Gilmore Girls .....I think I'm getting stressed :)

No comments: