Monday, June 25, 2007

I'm a Cover Girl (no not the make-up)

Cover Girl: noun. A female who enjoys songs already recorded, but re-recorded by another individual or band, usually better than the original.
i.e. Jimi Hendrix's "All along the Watchtower" is a song cover girl enjoys.

So let's rewind a bit. Cover songs. Truth is sometimes a cover song is so good or people are so not with it that they don't know the difference. But there are songs that when covered another person just owns them, such as Jimi Hendrix and Watchtower. Hell, even Dylan confesses that the song was meant for Jimi Hendrix.

Others to consider:
Spoon recovering Sam Cooke's Bring in on Home to Me
(which is a preview to tomorrow's entry. Promise.)

Pat McGee Band - Southern Cross

Radiohead - Sunday Bloody Sunday

Joe Cocker covering The Beatles - (I get by) With a Little Help from My Friends

Johnny Cash covering Personal Jesus, which is fantastic because I never have nor never will like Depeche Mode. Man I wish the band would snort it's last snort and disappear. "All I wanted, All I needed, was him in my arms. Words are very unnecessary," blah, blah, blah, hang yourselves ... or wait .... that was INXS, well follow michael hutchinson's lead would ya?

i'm sorry tiger lily. you can't help that your parents were REALLY messed up.

Jeff Buckley and Hallelujah

Note here that Me First and the Gimme Gimmes get a nod for becoming a 60s, 70s cover band that goes punk. Good stuff.

Ike and Tina Turner - Proud Mary. CCR just should relinquish the royalties, really, don't ya think?

The Replacments and Black Diamond

The Clash: I fought the Law (some don't even know that this is a cover, sad.)

But after All Along the Watchtower the top song for this cover girl is Aretha Franklin (Otis Redding) Respect. Sock it to me, Sock it to me, Sock it to me. R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

No comments: